SMS Counseling Program Mission Statement:
- We believe all students should be treated with respect.
- We believe every student is capable of being successful.
- We strive to assist students in the areas of academic, personal/social, and career areas based on National and Mississippi School Counseling Models.
- Check out the Parent Center in the library for books and materials you can get on academic skills and parenting skills! We have a new pdf of "5 Things Every Kid Must Get from DAD" which offers information for daughters and sons. Also, check out www.fathers.com or here for more info!
- Classroom guidance activities are provided once a month in each homeroom for 6 lessons.
- Small groups are offered based on needed topics.
- Individual counseling is provided as needed with referrals from teachers, parents, or students.
- Referrals are made to local agencies as needed.
- Guidance counselors serve as testing coordinators for state tests.
- Counselors serve as liason between ELL (English Language Learner) students and teachers.
- Counselors partner with teachers to address classroom management and students' achievement issues.
- Counselors assist in the development and implementation of three tiered process for behavior and academic interventions as needed.
- Counselors work with staff and parents to contribute to the atmosphere of a safe, positive learning environment at SMS.
- Provides a lesson/activity to each homeroom based on results of a needs assessment.
- Incorporates one or more the core areas of: academic, personal/social, or career exploration.